Skip to main content

Pet To Threat

A phrase that was introduced to me is the phrase "Pet to threat", and it is one that I have thought about since hearing it. To best explain the phrase, I'm going to use the example of being a Black woman in the corporate world. My story is, I'm sure, similar to that of many other Black women, we all just have our different "spins" on it, for lack of better phrasing. 

At a former job, I was celebrated in a lot of ways, one of the most being the fact that I am a Black woman. Do I feel I was a diversity hire? No...? I don't think that was how it started, however, it wasn't long after that that I began to feel like a bit of a token, or a representation of the company being "diverse". I was asked to be on the Diversity Council before I had reached the typical employment length to apply. Once on the council, I was asked to lead not only meetings, but also to lead Employee Resource Groups, or ERGs. I thought nothing of these at first, as I was excited at the opportunity to do some important work that included uplifting Black people and Black voices. And of course, that was a good thing, right? I jumped right in and was so excited to have my voice heard. I was so excited to be able to share my experiences with other companies, as well as experiences at this current company, and taking those and seeing how we could best ensure that Black employees felt seen and heard. 

That excitement was soon shifted into feelings of stress and frustration. When I started sharing my thoughts, I could see almost instantly that what I was saying and sharing was making people uncomfortable. It was obvious that explaining the ways that I had faced racism through micro aggressions made some people shift in their seats. I naively thought my sharing would open the eyes of the people around me. I thought that they would think about what they were hearing and want to know how they could make a difference to stop other people from experiencing those instances. I was instead met with pushback, doubting of lived experiences as part of sharing stories, and outright denial of the possibility of bias blindspots and discrimination. You can imagine my surprise and frustration at this occurrence, as the reason I was "picked" was to discuss the very things that were being discussed. And then it hit me. They wanted the "nice" version of talking about diversity. As in, they wanted to acknowledge that there was a diversity initiative, but keep tucked away the fact that diversity wasn't really the goal, just a performative act to have the company seeming more progressive. 

When I spoke about what I saw, what I experienced, what others had experienced, that shifted the dynamic of things. At that point, things became too real, and things were no longer simply just a possibility, or a lofty notion that they could slap a council on. Instead, it was a stark reality of what needed to be addressed and dismantled. I had shaken their place of comfort where everything was "just fine" and the company was addressing any issues that would affect marginalized groups, specifically Black employees. And by me shaking things up, even in the small way of sharing stories and experiences, I threatened their false sense of reality of being that progressive company that was ahead of their time. I opened their eyes to the fact that in spite of hiring Black people, that doesn't ensure that Black people are being taken care. I was shown that I was better seen, and only heard in a way that provided comfort. Peeling back the layers of work that needed to be done, starting with the acknowledgement of the need for truly listening to Black people, that shifted the view of me as a gift and an asset to one of contention. How dare I expect actual efforts to be made simply because I was added to their initiatives? How dare I believe that having me on boards and councils was more than filing a diversity quota? How dare I believe I am anything more than a token to help white people feel better about their comfort in upholding biases and white supremacy?

In that one step, in that one move, I shifted quickly from their pet...to their threat. Simply by asking them to hear what was being said, listen to experiences, and take steps to help their Black employees, Black PEOPLE, feel heard, cared for, and uplifted. That bare minimum step was too much of an ask. 

And I became too much of a Black woman for offering the ask. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pet to Threat and The Feeling of Moral Superiority

"The most disrespected person in America, is the Black woman. The most unprotected person in America, is the Black woman. The most neglected person in America, is the Black woman." - Malcom X This statement is so profound, if for no other reason than the fact that it is evergreen. Black women, while being not only the backbone of this country, but also the reason the country is still intact, are still disrespected, discarded, and dismissed. That is, of course, until we are needed. Until our labor is needed. Until our work is needed. Being a content creator whose work centers around anti-racism and decolonizing work, I see this behavior so often. But I see it in such a way that it's less than obvious to someone not looking for it, or someone who is unfamiliar with how it presents.  When Black women find ourselves in a position of teaching and educating, we also find ourselves in a position of pet to threat. I thank my best friend for that phrase. Simply put, when we are no

Post Corporate World Healing

Making the decision to leave the corporate world has been simultaneously the happiest and scariest event I've experienced in a long time. I am so happy to be able to pour into myself. I am so happy to be able to be creative, to teach, to rediscover myself. And with that also comes that pesky voice in my ear saying "but what if it doesn't work out?" I've been sitting with that fear. I've been sitting with it, not just to avoid that type of positivity that is expected. The if it's meant to be it will be, the don't worry, it'll all work out. I've been sitting with it because I recognize that I am also beginning a whole different type of healing.  I've been working in the corporate world, for someone else, for almost 30 years. It's what I've known. It's what has been comfortable to me, and I don't mean comfortable in the warm and fuzzy way, I mean in the way of knowing that I was making ends meet, able to feed and house myself,

Black Women Deserve Protection

I've titled this Black women deserve protection, however, even typing that, I can acknowledge that the statement is one that's considered a myth. Earlier this week, a Black woman was hit in the face with a brick by a man after telling him no when he asked for her phone number. In addition to her being hit by a brick, there were several men standing around watching the incident. And those same people did nothing. They didn't step in, nor did they do anything to help her after the fact. Instead, after she made the incident public, people decided instead to take to social media to share their opinions on what happened to this woman. Their opinions on the violent attack of another woman.  TikTok lives are often a place where you can often catch people discussing current events. It is not uncommon for there to be debates about any number of things. The assault that Rho experienced quickly became a topic for many content creators. People were going so far as to post a screenshot