Skip to main content

Post Corporate World Healing

Making the decision to leave the corporate world has been simultaneously the happiest and scariest event I've experienced in a long time. I am so happy to be able to pour into myself. I am so happy to be able to be creative, to teach, to rediscover myself. And with that also comes that pesky voice in my ear saying "but what if it doesn't work out?" I've been sitting with that fear. I've been sitting with it, not just to avoid that type of positivity that is expected. The if it's meant to be it will be, the don't worry, it'll all work out. I've been sitting with it because I recognize that I am also beginning a whole different type of healing. 

I've been working in the corporate world, for someone else, for almost 30 years. It's what I've known. It's what has been comfortable to me, and I don't mean comfortable in the warm and fuzzy way, I mean in the way of knowing that I was making ends meet, able to feed and house myself, and at some points, being able to feel a level of comfort that wasn't always there. And money trauma is real. It is real, and it can be paralyzing at times. 

I grew up in a home where we had our needs more than met, and a lot of "wants" were also met, but those times were few and far between. I didn't realize until adulthood that my parents were strategic and sometimes frugal, largely in part to their own pasts and how they grew up. My parents were, by society's definition, well off and financially set. The thing about the way they treated money, however, did not translate to passing along money management tips. That showed up in the way of all sorts of peaks and valleys in the money department. And the valleys...they were some pretty deep valleys. 

Finding myself in a job where I was able to not only take care of myself, but also "treat" myself (I'll unpack why I think finding joy for myself feels like a treat rather than exactly that, joy), I started to tuck away the financial trauma a bit. Then I found my way to TikTok, and 3 years later, I'm doing what I have learned to love by educating, facilitating, and getting back to writing. I feel such joy doing this, I feel such joy doing what I love and what I'm good at. 

I am learning more about myself now in so many ways and it is heavy and beautiful. I've heard that we give so much of ourselves to the company we work for, and while I believed it, I didn't quite see it in myself. Until now. Now that I have time that is MY time, now that I have the room to listen to me, to truly listen to myself, I feel like I've let out the biggest exhale. I feel raw, I feel vulnerable, and I also feel JOY. 

And that, that is what matters. 

Comments

  1. Your work is a gift, thank you for being brave enough to offer it to the world. ♥️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pet to Threat and The Feeling of Moral Superiority

"The most disrespected person in America, is the Black woman. The most unprotected person in America, is the Black woman. The most neglected person in America, is the Black woman." - Malcom X This statement is so profound, if for no other reason than the fact that it is evergreen. Black women, while being not only the backbone of this country, but also the reason the country is still intact, are still disrespected, discarded, and dismissed. That is, of course, until we are needed. Until our labor is needed. Until our work is needed. Being a content creator whose work centers around anti-racism and decolonizing work, I see this behavior so often. But I see it in such a way that it's less than obvious to someone not looking for it, or someone who is unfamiliar with how it presents.  When Black women find ourselves in a position of teaching and educating, we also find ourselves in a position of pet to threat. I thank my best friend for that phrase. Simply put, when we are no

Black Women Deserve Protection

I've titled this Black women deserve protection, however, even typing that, I can acknowledge that the statement is one that's considered a myth. Earlier this week, a Black woman was hit in the face with a brick by a man after telling him no when he asked for her phone number. In addition to her being hit by a brick, there were several men standing around watching the incident. And those same people did nothing. They didn't step in, nor did they do anything to help her after the fact. Instead, after she made the incident public, people decided instead to take to social media to share their opinions on what happened to this woman. Their opinions on the violent attack of another woman.  TikTok lives are often a place where you can often catch people discussing current events. It is not uncommon for there to be debates about any number of things. The assault that Rho experienced quickly became a topic for many content creators. People were going so far as to post a screenshot